Many who desire butt augmentation ask about the popular procedure known as the Brazilian Butt Lift. A lot of our patients at Phuket Plastic Surgery Insitute choose this procedure because it is really two great procedures in one: liposuction and butt augmentation. A Brazilian Butt Lift involves removing unwanted fat from problem areas, such as the hips, thighs, and “love handles,” to correct a boxy, flat shape or to simply add volume to the buttock area. Once removed, the fat is purified and then re-injected into the buttocks. This procedure is not as invasive as buttock implant surgery and can often provide a more contoured look without noticeable scars. A main advantage with the Brazilian Butt Lift is that the technique can be adjusted to meet the patient’s needs, whether they desire a subtle change or more dramatic results.
Unfortunately, not everyone is a candidate for Brazilian Butt Lift surgery. Because only the best donor fat cells are re-injected back into the buttocks for augmentation, fat often has to be suctioned from more than one area of the body in order to get enough fat to re-inject into the buttocks. Approximately 2 to 3 kg pounds of fat is removed from the body and about 1/2 to 1 kilo is reinjected into the buttocks. Therefore, if the patient has a petite frame with an inadequate amount of fat in the stomach and flank areas, the procedure cannot be performed successfully.
Good candidates for the Brazilian Butt Lift need to be a bit overweight or have the pounds to spare. When patients do not have enough fat and they do not want to consider buttock implants, I send them to “booty camp,” where they can eat whatever they want in order to gain enough weight for surgery.
What’s Right for You? Brazilian Butt lift vs. Butt Implants
Many people wish they could have a rounder, shapelier derriere. If you are considering a cosmetic procedure to even out the shape and proportion of your body, there are a couple of options available, namely buttock implants, or the Brazilian Butt Lift.
It can be challenging to decide which is best, but if you’re looking to enhance the volume of your backside and make sure it looks and feels completely natural, the Brazilian Butt Lift is the procedure for you.
Buttock implants, also called gluteoplasty, are one way to achieve a fuller backside. This is a treatment used by women who have lost the natural fullness and curve of their backsides. However, one of the largest drawbacks to this option is that it is done through silicone implants being inserted into the backside. The implants do not feel natural and can be uncomfortable, even painful and prone to infection.
The Brazilian Butt Lift is an implant-free alternative for those who want buttocks that look and feel smooth and natural. The Brazilian Butt Lift uses your own body fat and is the perfect choice for women with flat buttocks or those who have developed some sagging due to age or weight loss. The patient’s body fat is extracted and then spun down to then be injected into the buttocks to “raise” their appearance and created smooth, beautiful contours.
When you compare the use of natural fat deposits in the derrière to hard silicone implants that are prone to infection, the choice is clear. The Brazilian Butt Lift is a great way to create the curves you desire, with minimal downtime and a return to your lifestyle in a matter of weeks.
Dramatic weight gains or losses may affect the shape and feel of your butt lift procedure in the future. Smokers tend to re-absorb/lose more of the fat that was injected during fat grafting vs. those who do not smoke.
- Implant Selection: The implant is either round or oval, the so-called “anatomic” implant. Like breast implants, the implant comes with either a smooth or a textured surface. Neither the shape nor the surface texture of the implant makes much of a difference in the outcome. The content inside the implant can be either solid silicone or cohesive silicone gel, with the solid silicone the most commonly used. The solid implant is excellent since it cannot rupture, spill, or deflate. The decision regarding which type of implant will be used is heavily influenced by your surgeon’s preference and philosophy. The augmented buttock has a natural feel and can be somewhat firm to the touch. It basically just feels like you have been working out for a long time.
- Incision Location: Once you and your surgeon have decided on the implant, the next task is to decide on the type of incision. The buttock implant incision can be placed in several locations:
- Toward the top on both sides of the upper buttock. Although the scars can be hidden in your undergarment or bikini, it is not recommended since the scar can be quite visible when you are nude. Moreover, two incisions are required. Or,
- Toward the bottom in both of the gluteal creases, the areas where your “cheeks” meets the top of the thighs. That choice will leave you with two scars that also can be quite visible. Or finally,
- One incision, which is placed down the center of the sacrum. That’s a small 4 to 6 cm (about ¼ inch) vertical incision down the buttocks crease. It is believed that to be the best location because it is extremely well-hidden and not even your closest friend can find it. (He or she won’t want to be looking in that area). Furthermore, the sacrum approach only involves one scar. The only drawback is it may have a higher infection rate than the other incisions due to its location close to the anus. However, an infection is usually cured with antibiotics and wound care.
- Above or below the muscle: Once we know the type of incision, the next step is to decide on the placement of the buttock implant.This again will heavily depend on your surgeon’s preference; many nice results have been attained with either position. What it really depends on is the person’s anatomy. Your Surgeon has seen many implants that were placed above the muscle and later looked like a sack of potatoes. That may take place in patients who have a very droopy buttock or poor skin tone.Preference to place the implant within the muscle. That accomplishes several things:
- First, it gives the implant more support and prevents it from moving too far down the buttock.
- Secondly, it gives an extra layer of coverage so the implant feels more natural to the touch and has a nicer shape.
- Finally, the added tissue coverage protects the implant from infection. If the implant were placed above the muscle and the wound became infected, more than likely so will the implant. In this scenario, the implant would have to be removed and left out for three months before inserting it again. Of course, every surgeon has his or her own philosophy and preference.
- To liposuction or not to liposuction: The final decision will be whether or not liposuction should be combined with the implant procedure to add further contour to the buttocks. Many patients who were having the operation had flat buttocks, but they also had a role of excess fat in the upper-outer part of the buttock. They looked flat from the side but wide and flat from the back. After the augmentation, the patients had nice-looking results and a large wide look from all angles. Surgeons then began to combine the implant procedure with liposuction of the upper outer part of the buttock to improve the wide appearance. They noticed a tremendous change in the contour and shape of the buttocks.In some patients, liposuction of the lower buttock and outer thigh is also needed to improve the droopy look. Please remember that every plastic surgeon has his or her own philosophy; therefore the decision to combine liposuction will depend on what you want and your surgeon’s philosophy.
- The Operation Itself: Buttock augmentation takes about an hour to perform. If liposuction is being done, then it may take an additional half hour.You must be placed face down for the operation. A 5 to 6 cm (about ¼ inch) vertical incision is made in the well-hidden buttock center crease, the sacrum. The dissection continues on either side of the sacrum until the buttock muscle is reached. At this point, the muscle is incised and with careful dissection, a pocket is created for the implant within the muscle. Surprisingly, there is very little bleeding. The implants are inserted into the newly created pockets and the muscle closed over the implants. The midline incision is then closed in layers. If liposuction is going to be done, it is performed through separate incisions.
Butt Implant Recovery
After your butt implant procedure in Phuket, you will need to wear a support garment for approximately two to three weeks. This will help the skin redrape properly and provide support to the augmented buttocks. Final results are noticeable three months after surgery. At this point, most of the swelling will be gone and the implants will be settled in their normal position.
At first, you will notice a definite difference in the gluteus contour, but because you are swollen, the buttock will appear very full, and will have a boxy appearance. You may also notice the implants sit quite high on the buttock. That is all normal, too; kindly remember that you are swollen. It will take at least three months for all the swelling to go down and for the implants to settle into their normal position. You may experience occasional temperature changes and numbness over the buttocks. But that will also improve over the next three months. You may feel a little timid and scared when sitting down, but remember the implant is much higher on the buttock than where you normally sit, so don’t worry.
Butt Lift Recovery
You must sit very cautiously for the first few weeks. You can return to work within one to two weeks or when you’re comfortable. There will be swelling, bruising, and soreness in both the area where the fat was harvested and the injection sites on the buttocks. Swelling may take up to 3 months to fully resolve, you will need a compression garment to wear that will help to keep swelling to a minimum.
Strenuous activities should be avoided for 4-6 weeks. Of course, we will monitor your progress, see you for follow-up examinations, and answer any questions you have during your recovery period.
We understand that you will not always be sure about what surgery will be needed and that you will need to know that you are, in fact, a candidate for your Butt Lift or Butt Implant surgery. To address this, you have the opportunity to have one of our highly qualified surgeons from Phuket International Hospital provide you with their personal recommendations at no cost or commitment to you to proceed with surgery.
Step 1: Take photos as required
Step 2: Complete the Patient Registration and upload images taken
Step 3: Receive personalised Recommendations, exact cost and duration required to staying Phuket for recovery, from a surgeon specialised in your chosen procedure.
A Brazillian Butt Lift cost in Thailand is significantly lower than you would expect to pay in Australia, the cost of a Butt lift in Sydney, Brisbane or Perth in Australia would be $15,000 +.
Our advice to get a clear picture of what is going to work to achieve your results is to submit your images and patient information so our Thailand Surgeons who can provide you with recommendations. These recommendations will include what surgery will achieve your results, confirmation of price and duration you require for recovery in Thailand.
The pricing below is for standard Butt Liff or Butt Implant cost in Phuket and should be used a guide only without having surgical recommendations provided.